Not yet rated.
2 cups of French Puy lentils
4 cups Duck Stock + 1 cup water (or you may use all water)
Bouquet garnis (sprig of thyme, parsley, bay leaf)
1 carrot cut in half
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
1 tbs. white wine vinegar
4tbs. olive oil
1 tbs. chervil, finely chopped
1 tbs. chive, finely chopped
Salt and pepper
4 Fresh Duck Breasts scored and pat dry
French four-spice (1 tbs. each of ground nutmeg, cinnamon, white pepper and clove)
Zest of 1 orange
4 slices of brioche, toasted and then blended to a crumb
100g pancetta, finely diced and fried until golden brown
1. Pre heat the oven to 200°C.
2. To prepare chestnuts, place in pot of cold water and bring to the boil. Drain and add to a baking dish. Cook in the oven for 15 minute. Remove and cover with foil to allow them to sweat briefly. While still warm peel the dark outer shell. Finely chop.
3. For the lentils, place in a pot with the chicken stock, water, bouquet garnis, carrot and onion. Bring to the boil and then gently simmer for 20 minutes. Season the lentils with salt only after they are cooked. Remove the onion, carrot and bouquet garnis and drain excess liquid. For the vinaigrette, whisk the mustard with the vinegar and oil. Season with salt and pepper and add the freshly chopped herbs. Mix through the lentils.
4. For the duck, combine four spice, zest and salt in a large bowl. Add the duck breasts and marinade for 5 minutes. Heat a large griddle pan or BBQ and chargrill skin-side-down for 3 minutes. Transfer to a tray and roast in the oven for a further 7 minutes. Rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
5. For the brioche crumbs, combine brioche, pancetta and roasted chestnuts.
6. To serve, scatter lentils vinaigrette on four plates. Add the sliced duck, along with the brioche crumbs.